Welcome to my website presentation on theories of consciousness!
My site consists of a series of slide presentations, with voice-over commentary, which play as film clips. The first set of nine clips (below) are a general introduction to the subject. There are also two eight-unit courses, called, respectively, The History & Development of Theories of Consciousness and Theories of the Self. (I’m planning to produce a further three on consciousness topics, as follows; a) Qualia, b) Quantum theories of consciousness and c) Consciousness and causation.) All the units and sections are numbered (though, please, of course, feel free to dip in and sample the material at any point and in any order).
- I’d very much appreciate receiving any feedback you may have to give having viewed the content of this site (please find my email address below).
- I’m also interested in opportunities for me to teach this as a course. In addition to these presentations (less formally presented) any such course would also consist of structured, sub-group discussions (with pre-prepare questions) presentation projects, with proponent/opponent debates. (These are techniques I developed and practised, very successfully, during my four years teaching at Stockholm University. Please click here to see my CV.) If you’re interested in me teaching the four units of this presentation, please contact me and I’ll send you a course plan including learning objectives, reading lists, etc..
Dr Steve Minett
GENERAL INTRODUCTION TO THEORIES OF CONSCIOUSNESS
1) The Starting Point
2) The Modern Problem of Consciousness
3) Opening the Suitcase
4) The Doctrine of Computationalism
5) The Shortcomings of Cognitivism
6) Questioning Realism
8) The Sentient Self
9) Quantum Consciousness